With no game this week, I thought it would be good to do a bigger quiz than the one I have been doing about previous matches with upcoming opponents in recent months. This time around, I’ve set a question on each competitive game we’ve played so far this season. That makes thirty questions in all, so I think anyone attempting them should be given longer than the normal one day to answer them – I’ll put the answers up on here on Saturday.
- Why were we down to ten men when Northampton scored their winning goal in the League Cup tie back in August?
- How many players who featured in our 1-0 win over Huddersfield were making their league debuts for us?
- What Brighton club record was set in their 0-0 draw with us in August – it’s since been broken.
- Which former transfer target of ours (and I don’t mean Tom Heaton!) was in the wurzels squad for their 4-2 win over us.
- Four players made their competitive home debuts for us against Wolves in September, can you name them?
- How many minutes did Ross McCormack spend on the pitch in our 2-1 win over Leeds?
- Name the player who made his debut for MIllwall when he came on as a second half sub in their 2-0 defeat by us in September.
- Who were the City players who gave away penalties in the 3-2 defeat by Palace?
- The Blackpool team beaten 3-0 by us in September had five Scottish Internationals in the starting eleven, can you name them?
- Until Peterborough visited nearly three months later, Leroy Lita’s goal for Birmingham in their 2-1 defeat made him the sole member of a pretty exclusive club this season – can you name it?
- City have a very poor record at Ipswich, but for one member of our side that won 2-1 there in October, it was his second victory at Portman Road as a Cardiff player – who is he?
- Which member of the Forest squad which beat us 3-1 has played against us for another club this season?
- Only two members of the Watford starting eleven for their 2-1 defeat in October were in their team which drew 1-1 at Cardiff City Stadium six months earlier, name them.
- Who was Burnley’s manager for their 4-0 defeat here?
- The Bolton team which beat us 2-1 in November contained three players who have won caps for England at full international level, who are they?
- City sides have not made a habit of conceding five in a game in recent years – Charlton did it to us in November, but it’s only happened on one other occasion in the past five seasons, who were we playing at the time?
- The only instance of this happening so far this season occurred in the third minute of our 2-1 win over Hull, what am I talking about?
- Our last home win over Middlesbrough before this November was also a backs to the wall 1-0 triumph courtesy of an early goal, Matt Connolly got our decisive goal this season, but who scored on the previous occasion?
- There was one survivor in either side from the FA Cup Semi Final between the teams in 2008 when we met Barnsley in November – can you name them?
- Our substitute’s bench for the 1-1 draw at Derby included two players who have not made a league appearance between them for City yet, name them.
- Name the member of the Sheffield Wednesday side beaten here in December who signed for MK Dons on loan this week.
- There were three players on the pitch who were eligible to play for Wales when the game at Blackburn started , Craig Bellamy was one, who were the other two?
- Which member of the Peterborough side that won here last month was signed from Wrexham in the summer.
- The Cardiff and Leicester starting elevens that met last month had five survivors between them from the Play Off Semi Final encounters three years ago, can you name them?
- Mile Jedinak’s goal for Palace on Boxing Day was a one off for the season (up to now at least), why?
- It was a fourth consecutive clean sheet for the City against Millwall last month – who was the last player from the Sarf Lonson side to score against us?
- Before Joe Mason did it on New Year’s Day, who was the last City player to score a winning goal at St. Andrews?
- Macclesfield’s win over us took the number of current Conference sides to beat us in the FA Cup since I started supporting City in 1963 to three, can you name the other two?
- The last twenty odd minutes of the 0-0 draw with Ipswich saw something happen which hadn’t before this season in a City match and, off the top of my head, I can’t recall when it occurred previously in one of our matches – what am I describing?
- It happened once to us at Blackpool last Saturday to take the total for 2013 to three, but the previous instance of this occurring was on 1 January 2011 – what am I talking about (that’s not a rhetorical question!)
1, Jordon Mutch was off the pitch because his substitution for Joe Mason wasn’t allowed until he had the right colour tape on his socks.
2. Two – Jordon Mutch and Heidar Helguson
3. The crowd of 25,518 was a record for their new stadium.
4. Jody Morris.
5. Matt Connolly, Tommy Smith, Craig Noone and Nicky Maynard.
7. Chris Wood.
8. Andrew Taylor and Heidar Helguson.
9. Matt Gilks, Kirk Broadfoot, Stephen Crainey, Scott Robertson and Matt Phillips.
10. Englishmen who have scored against us at Cardiff City Stadium in 2012/13.
11. Kevin McNaughton.
12. Marcus Tudgay when he was on loan at Barnsley.
13. Lloyd Doyley and Johnathan Hogg.
14. Terry Pashley.
15. Zat Knight, Stephen Warnock and Kevin Davies.
16. Newcastle (5-1 on my birthday in 2010)!
17. Heidar Helguson scoring a goal at Cardiff City Stadium.
18. Jay Bothroyd in 2009/10.
19. Peter Whittingham and Luke Steele.
20. Elliot Parish and Declan John.
21. Chris Lines.
22. Ben Turner and Adam Henley.
23. Nathaniel Knight-Percival.
24. David Marshall, Mark Hudson, Peter Whittingham, Lloyd Dyer and Andy King.
25. It’s the only goal we’ve conceded in the first five minutes of a game.
26. Steve Morrison.
27. Bobby Brown on 10 December 1966.
28. Luton in 1994 and Southport in 1966.
29. There were players on either side with the same name – Tommy Smith.
30. Goals scored against us by players with double barrelled surnames – Gary Taylor-Fletcher last week, Matthew Barnes-Homer with two for Macclesfield and Jamal Campbell-Ryce for Bristol City in their 3-0 win two years ago.